What is a privacy screen protector and do you need it?
A privacy screen protector is an accessory making your screen darker to shield it from prying eyes. It restricts viewing angles, preventing bystanders from seeing it from the sides. Thus, you can type in PINs or message friends without worrying about curious bystanders.
Furthermore, a privacy screen protector guards your screen against scratches and specific products might block blue light. So, this accessory can be good for your privacy and eye strain. Thanks to its easy application, every user can apply such filters to their screens.
What is a privacy screen protector?
A privacy screen protector (privacy filter) is a filter preventing strangers from seeing your screen. It blocks the view of your screen from certain angles. Thus, you need to be right in front of your screen to see it clearly.
So, a privacy screen protector for iPhone, Android, or a laptop is for feeling more comfortable in public places. You can open banking apps or type in passwords without someone secretly capturing personal details.
Do privacy screen protectors work on smartphones and laptops?
You can find privacy screen protectors for laptops, monitors, and various Android or iPhone models. So, you can prevent visual hacking on all devices.
How are privacy screen protectors made?
Privacy filters rely on MicroLouvre technology for the best protection. Their structure might differ depending on manufacturers. The best privacy screen protectors are from tempered glass. They should also not change the touch sensitivity.
Essentially, privacy screen protectors work like small vertical blinds blocking light and narrowing the viewing angle. If you sit directly in front of a screen, you will see all the details and data without any problem.
It is an anti-spying gadget that does not require lengthy instructions. You can add a privacy screen protector on your device by attaching the hinges and attaching the filter.
What a privacy screen does and offers
A privacy screen protector has many advantages, combining privacy and other convenient features. In many cases, it offers more benefits than traditional screen protectors.
- You will likely find filters suitable for various screen sizes, be it a laptop or a smartphone.
- Besides working as blinds, privacy screen protectors prevent scratches and other damage.
- Not all privacy screen protectors offer the same deal. Some can include more high-tech features.
- Anti-glare coating or blue light filters are one of the possibilities. Some other convenient additions include filters for reducing eye strain.
Less convenient facts about privacy screen protectors
Privacy screen protectors offer many privacy advantages. However, it is important to learn other factors, possibly making these products less appealing.
Reduced clarity and brightness
The effect of a privacy screen protector might make it harder to use your device normally. A simple solution is to increase the brightness of your screen. However, the disadvantage here is that your battery will drain faster.
Some visual hacking remains possible
High-traffic locations do not mean that people will stand at the specific blind spots. Thus, privacy filters do not stop people standing nearby or behind you from seeing your screen.
Having to hold your device directly in front of you
You might not be able to catch a quick glimpse of your devices. It might be a downside for those wishing to check current notifications or the time swiftly.
Showing things on your screen to others
Users might want to show interesting texts or articles on their screens. Nevertheless, the privacy screen protector forces you to keep your device at a specific angle.
You can set your screen to landscape with two-way protectors and show your screen with no issues.
Picking the best privacy screen protector
- Some privacy screen protectors are better at keeping convenient screen brightness and clarity. Read reviews from experts to ensure that the products you selected do not hinder your experience.
- A two-way protector only delivers protection at certain angles when set in portrait mode. If you wish to use the device without the darkened effect, switch to the landscape setting. However, four-way filters work in both orientations.
- Anti-glare coating reduces light reflections and allows you to see your screen even on a sunny day.
- Blue light reduction minimizes the amount of blue light displayed on the screen. So, it can help improve sleep by preventing the light from suppressing melatonin production. Such a screen protector also decreases eye strain.
- A quality privacy screen protector should also include all the benefits of a traditional gadget. Go for accessories offering scratch-resistance, minimal disruptions on touch sensitivity, and coatings to reduce smudge marks.
Is a privacy screen protector enough to protect devices?
Public places are perfect for visual hackers to catch a glimpse of your actions. If you are not careful, they can notice PINs or other sensitive details like your home address.
Thus, a privacy screen protector is an excellent addition to your cybersecurity setup. However, you should remember several tips for making your digital routine more private.
Even if you have a privacy screen protector, avoid accessing accounts containing highly confidential details. For instance, reading a digital book on a bus is harmless.
However, accessing your online banking account in public is dangerous even if you have a privacy screen protector. It has limits, and some visual hackers can take precise positions for seeing your screen.
Furthermore, public locations offering free Wi-Fi connections are also not trusted. If you choose to use a free hotspot, remember to connect to a VPN beforehand. It provides the perfect blinds for covering your online traffic from potential snoopers.