PS4 VPN elevates gaming and offers a full-on privacy shield
Preparing a PS4 VPN is slightly more complicated than using a VPN in a conventional environment like your smartphone. However, this option allows gamers to connect to early-access time zones and protect themselves from malicious attacks. A VPN on PS4 console can help you access geo-blocked content, boost anonymity, and reduce game lag. Since PS4 does not offer built-in support for VPNs, how can you apply it to your gaming console?
Why should a VPN be a priority for gamers?
The reason for installing a VPN depends on individual. For gamers, while privacy is a priority, there might be more relevant issues that they wish to solve with a PS4 VPN:
- A way to save money. Game prices might adapt to customers’ whereabouts, meaning that some people will spend more money on new games. A VPN functions as a workaround, giving users a chance to buy games at lower costs.
- Early-access to new games. Some games can offer exclusive deals and content limited to specific regions. With a VPN on PS4 consoles, you can select a server which lets you get all the geo-restricted offers. As a result, you can purchase games immediately after their official release, without having to wait until it becomes available in your country.
- High-speed gaming. A robust VPN can help you tackle lags that occur while playing online games. If your ISP is somehow regulating your traffic, a VPN can work in favor of faster connections. However, it is essential to pay attention to the speed of a VPN when choosing your service. A less-suitable VPN on PS4 can make your gaming laggier, which is not something you want when defeating monsters or helping your comrades.
- Immunity to . Your rivals in games might use your IP address to target your home connection and crowd it with traffic. A PS4 VPN channels all your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to one of the external servers. With your IP address hidden, cheating players won’t be able to orchestrate an attack directly against you.
- Privacy in the gaming community. Gameplay can get intense, especially if you are playing online with dozens of other enthusiasts. If you are a part of a huge gaming community on Discord or another platform, you might need to stay anonymous with a PS4 VPN. Some time ago, a malicious practice called swatting was popular. It refers to prank calls to emergency services to send officials to a specific location. You can still find footage of online streamers becoming victims of these criminal tactics. Therefore, hiding IP addresses has become a regular practice for gamers.
Why are some gamers skeptical about getting a VPN on PS4?
As a gamer, you value smooth gameplay above all else. You might hesitate to get a VPN for PS4 or other gaming consoles because it might spoil your experience. These concerns are valid. A VPN can increase latency by adding more distance between requests and responses.
However, you can decrease the chances of a slower connection by choosing PS4 VPN servers closer to your actual location. If you are still uncertain whether you should commit to a VPN for PS4 consoles, consider trying free trials of different providers.
How to use a VPN on PS4?
Gaming consoles, similarly to the majority of smart TVs, do not have built-in support for VPNs. As a result, you need an effective workaround. Luckily, your router can come to the rescue. You can install a PS4 VPNto protect the entire network and all internet-connected devices. Then, a secure and encrypted connection through a VPN reaches your PS4 console as well. Here are the steps to prepare a VPN for PS4 consoles:
- You need to access “Settings” on your PS4 and choose “Network Settings.”
- Under this tab, find and select “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- The next step is to choose the “Use Wi-Fi” option.
- Set the connection method to “Easy” to make the PS4 automatically search for wireless connections.
- Select your Wi-Fi and type in the necessary credentials.
- Also, do not forget to click on “Do Not Use a Proxy Server.”
- Review all the settings and start with the “Test Connection.”
- Now, you are ready to play.