How to use VPN on PlayStation (Router & Internet Sharing)
Learning how to use VPN on PlayStation differs from the usual path for computers or smartphones. In this case, PlayStation devices do not support VPN apps directly.
So, setting up a VPN takes more than downloading and installing a VPN service. But this lack of support does not mean you cannot protect your activities on PlayStation.
All you need is a pinch of creativity and technical how-to. The process of how to use VPN on PlayStation involves internet sharing or installing a VPN on your Wi-Fi router.
Why get a VPN on PlayStation
A VPN on PlayStation provides more security and privacy for your activities like online gaming. This security tool takes your internet traffic, encrypts it, and reroutes it through secure servers in different locations. Let’s see theof this change to your digital life:
- Traffic encryption protects your online activities from various types of snooping.
- A VPN replaces your IP address with an identifier belonging to its servers. Thus, you get more anonymity while surfing online.
- It can also help against internet speed throttling (based on type).
- Location change can help you find better deals or access game servers in other countries.
- A VPN can help minimize the damage of DDoS or man-in-the-middle attacks.
How to pick a VPN to use on PlayStation
Follow these suggestions when picking a VPN for PlayStation or other devices:
- A VPN should support most of your devices. However, PlayStation or other gaming consoles won’t have native support for it. Instead, you should follow other instructions for protecting gaming consoles.
- The VPN service should follow a no-logs policy, stopping it from tracking and logging your activities.
- Examine reviews about the VPN product from experts and users.
- Free trials, free versions and 30-day money-back guarantees give you the chance to test the product.
Upgrade to AtlasVPN Premium
Connect PlayStation to a VPN-protected router
One of the options for connecting your PlayStation to a VPN is to install it on your router. Note that not all routers and VPN services support this.
- Enter your into a web browser to open the admin panel.
- Provide username and password in the router’s login page. You should see these credentials on your router.
- Open the Control Panel or the network settings tab. The settings might differ depending on your router.
- Provide the following information: a , IP address, and VPN login details in the network settings. A VPN provider should supply this information.
- After completing the instructions from the VPN service, you can connect your PlayStation to the VPN.
- You can connect your PlayStation to the VPN-protected router in two ways: via the LAN cable or wireless network.
- If possible, connect your Ethernet cable to the PlayStation and you can use the device safely. have an advantage over wireless when it comes to gaming.
- Also, you can open the PlayStation settings, select Network Settings, and pick Set Up Internet Connection. Then, choose Use Wi-Fi and connect to the VPN-protected network.
Connect PlayStation to a VPN-protected mobile hotspot
You can also share a VPN connection from a supported device. Thus, you can connect to a VPN on your Windows computer and create a. Then, you connect your PS4 or PS5 to the VPN-protected network.
These steps let you use your computer’s internet connection to protect your activities on the PlayStation console.
- Open the VPN and connect to a VPN server on your Windows device. Atlas VPN also recommends setting up the protocol.
- Set up internet connection to VPN servers closer to your actual location for the best possible speeds.
- Now, you need to set up a hotspot to share the VPN and go online through this computer.
- Enter Mobile hotspot in the Windows search and open the setting.
- Toggle the Mobile hotspot switch to enable other network users to connect. Remember the network name and password for later.
- Open Network & Internet tab and open Advanced network settings.
- Click on More network adapter options.
- Right-click on the Atlas VPN IKEv2 adapter option and choose Properties.
- Go to the Sharing section and tick the box to Allow other network users to connect.
- Pick the mobile hotspot adapter from Network Connections in the Home networking connection field.
- Click OK, and your PlayStation should be able to detect and connect to the hotspot.
Other tips for using a VPN on Playstation and other devices
You may be discouraged from using a VPN for gaming consoles as they do not support direct VPN installation. However, clever workarounds won’t leave you in distress.
Of course, setting up a VPN on the router might not be an option for several reasons. Your router might not support such installations, or you need more control over your connection.
Luckily, you can set up, say, Atlas VPN on your computer and share your internet connection with other devices. Then, you will have no issue using PlayStation or other consoles more securely and privately!