How to delete Instagram account or deactivate it
Steps for how to delete Instagram account are fairly straightforward. However, you should be ready to lose your profile, including photos, followers, and communities.
For years, experts have reported Instagram as one of the most toxic and mentally-draining social apps. It promotes unrealistic expectations, with many users sharing heavily filtered and coordinated moments.
Another motivation for deciding to permanently delete Instagram is its invasive nature. For instance, previous studies have uncovered that it shares 79% of users’ personal information with third parties.
Let’s see how to delete Instagram account or temporarily deactivate it for a break from social media.
Why it might be wise to delete Instagram accounts
Instagram facilitates approximately 500 million daily active users. They either add posts or stories themselves orand acquaintances. Both activities can gradually turn into social media fatigue.
It might relate to feeling obsessed with followers or like numbers. Comparing your habits to the idealistic lifestyles promoted can also lead to psychological exhaustion.
Here are the three main reasons why deleting Instagram account can be a healthy decision in many ways:
- Improving mental health. with low self-esteem, social anxiety, and depression. Dropping this toxic environment can help improve mental well-being and ease symptoms like anxiety or body dysmorphia.
- Social media no longer consumes as much time. Deciding to delete Instagram account gives you more time for activities like hobbies or simple yet pleasant habits.
- More in touch with the life behind a screen. Deleting your Instagram app and account might also help you build stronger relationships with others.
- Fewer invasions of privacy. Our research shows that Instagram is one of the .
- Getting rid of a popular channel for scams. Fraudulent activities might occur via fake accounts or hacked profiles.
Private Christmas & a safe New Year! 0% OFF
What information does Instagram collect about you?
One of the strongest motivations for committing to delete Instagram accounts comes from the digital privacy viewpoint.
Of course, most apps and online services collect specific details. However, some companies are more data-hungry, taking a bigger bite than others.
Here is some data Instagram can collect:
- Activities within the app.
- Activities outside of the app.
- Browsing activities.
- Contact lists.
- Content within Instagram profiles.
- Health & fitness.
Instagram also shares most of this information with third parties, like data brokers, partners, advertisers, affiliates, and organizations.
For the best privacy after deleting an Instagram account, considerand , too.
How to delete Instagram account for good
Before deleting your Instagram account, remember these conditions:
- When you delete your Instagram account permanently, you will lose your profile, photos, comments, videos, and followers.
- If you can no longer log in or recover your account, you won’t be able to delete it.
- You will still be able to restore your account within 30 days after requesting permanent deletion.
- Before deleting Instagram, you should initiate a data download, including all your profile content. After deleting your Instagram account permanently, you won’t be able to access profile data.
- You will still be able to use your username to create a new account unless someone else has taken it.
- Instagram might retain copies of your data for 90 days after you delete Instagram accounts.
How to download your Instagram data on Android and iOS?
- Open your Instagram account and tap on the profile icon.
- Tap on the three lines at the top.
- Open Your activity.
- Scroll down and tap on the Download your information option.
- You can also check whether the Instagram data will arrive at the right email address.
- Tap on the Request download button.
How to download your Instagram data on browsers?
- Open Instagram.
- Click on your profile icon.
- In the drop-down menu, click Settings.
- Open Privacy and security settings.
- Scroll down until you see Data download, and click on the Request download button.
- Check your email and the format in which you want to receive your data.
- Click Next.
- Confirm with a password.
Delete Instagram via a web browser or app
You won’t find a way to permanently delete your account through normal Instagram settings. Try this instead:
- Visit a dedicated .
- You will need to enter your login credentials.
- Pick a reason why you wish to delete your account.
- Confirm your decision with a password and finish deleting your account.
- You can recover your account within the next 30 days.
Deactivate your Instagram account temporarily
- Log into your Instagram account.
- Click or tap on your Instagram profile icon.
- Open Settings.
- Navigate to Edit Profile.
- Scroll down and open the Temporarily deactivate my account option.
- Provide the required information, like the reason for deactivating your account.
- Click or tap on Temporarily Deactivate Account.
- You will reactivate it automatically by logging into your Instagram account.
- Remember that you can only deactivate accounts once a week.