What is a fast VPN? Racing for the top internet speed
A fast VPN refers to services supporting satisfactory internet connection speeds for its clients. The essence of a VPN is its traffic encryption and rerouting. Thus, you do not send requests (like to visit websites) directly to the intended destination.
Instead, you transfer it to a VPN server, which makes the request on your behalf and delivers it back. So, one of the priorities for any fast VPN is reducing this VPN overhead.
Furthermore, we have situations when a fast VPN will mean that it improves your current internet speed. Such connectivity boosts happen when Internet Service Providers slow down online activities based on traffic type.
A fast VPN: what does it mean?
Users might get stuck with the notion of the speed they might lose when connected to a VPN. The chances are that some minimal connectivity loss is likely to occur. However, a fast VPN should do several things:
- It should never impact your internet connection to the point of becoming unusable. Thus, a fast VPN should make the slight speed loss unnoticeable during your favorite activities.
What should a fast VPN have?
- A number of VPN server locations. A VPN service should have enough servers to offer something for users around the world. For instance, they should have options for connecting to servers in their or neighboring countries.
- Speed-optimized servers. A fast VPN should make speed a priority when it comes to its infrastructure. For instance, reducing the VPN overhead is one of the tasks. However, it also boils down to the techniques like VPN protocols chosen.
- VPN protocols to support fast speeds. WireGuard is one of the fastest VPN protocols available right now. Thus, it is a plus if a VPN offers it.
- Split tunneling. Sometimes, you might want to protect your internet traffic partially. Split tunneling lets you pick specific apps that should not have their traffic rerouted through VPN tunnels.
- Support for gaming, streaming, and P2P. A fast VPN can clearly indicate which servers support the best speeds for certain activities. So, you can find indications or labels explaining which locations support streaming or P2P.
- Optimal location picker. If you do not want to decide on the server, leave it to a VPN. The service calculates details like distance and server congestion to connect you to the best option.
How to use fast VPN apps for the best possible speed?
Certain rules dictate how you can enjoy a fast VPN connection. So, while the VPN input, infrastructure, and servers play a role, users’ habits are also important. See the tips for achieving the best speeds with a fast VPN.
Connect to VPN servers closer to you
The golden rule for users wishing to have the fastest VPN is the appropriate server selection.
- If you wish to connect mainly for privacy and security, pick servers closer to your real location. This decision minimizes the distance internet traffic needs to travel before reaching destinations and circling back.
- Tweak the VPN connection when you need to bypass censorship or network blocks. As mentioned, a fast VPN might do a lot to minimize VPN overhead. However, some speed drops are understandable if a server you connect to is thousands of miles away. So, the rule is connecting to the closest suitable servers and changing VPN protocol if necessary.
Pick servers optimized for certain activities
A fast VPN can support bandwidth-heavy activities on all servers. However, the best speeds possible can be available on the select bunch. So, the users’ task is finding which servers are suitable for which activities.
Does VPN make your internet faster?
A fast VPN can improve internet connections under specific circumstances. Mainly, the connectivity boost can occur if your ISP throttles speed. Some Internet Service Providers can limit internet speed based on traffic type.
So, if they detect streaming or gaming traffic, they could slow it down purposefully. Since a VPN reroutes and encrypts traffic, ISPs won’t be able to differentiate between different traffic types. As a result, they won’t know when throttling should occur.
Is Atlas VPN a fast VPN?
Atlas VPN fulfills the requirements to be a fast VPN:
- We offer 750 servers in over 40 locations. Thus, anyone can pick a server closer to their region.
- We optimize servers for the best speed possible. Additionally, we have special servers designed specifically for safer and fast VPN streaming.
- All our servers support P2P sharing activities.
- It is possible to enable WireGuard, the fastest VPN protocol, on all Atlas VPN servers.
- We include the best location picker, which automatically connects you to the most suitable server.
- Split tunneling lets you pick which apps and traffic to protect. Currently, this feature is available on Android.
Eager to try a fast VPN? Atlas VPN is an excellent choice, boosting the security of your connection and bringing satisfactory speeds.