How to use VPN on Roku: two methods explained
Learning how to use VPN on Roku devices can seem tricky since you cannot set up a VPN directly. Since Roku doesn’t support VPN apps, you need to follow clever workarounds.
These universal tricks reveal ways to protect smart gadgets that are not natively compatible with VPNs. Thus, you can use the same steps whenever necessary by learning how to connect your Roku to a VPN.
So, let’s discuss why VPN on Roku devices is helpful and what roles routers and computers play in connecting successfully.
Why use a VPN on Roku
A VPN on Roku improves your experience by protecting your activities via this media player. Roku supports a wide collection of apps and channels. Thus, keep Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and other entities away from these habits.
Here are the main reasons to consider getting a VPN on Roku:
- A VPN offers more security and privacy whenever you connect to .
- Traffic encryption can also stop attempts to throttle internet speed based on type. For instance, ISPs can slow more demanding activities like watching media content.
- A VPN also hides your by replacing it with the one belonging to a VPN server.
Upgrade to AtlasVPN Premium
Pick a VPN to use on Roku and other devices
Here are some recommendations when picking which VPN services you should use:
- Choose a VPN provider that offers support for the devices you need. It is more complicated with Roku as the device does not support VPNs. Thus, you need to look at whether a VPN supports router setup. However, most VPNs can support VPN usage through hotspots.
- You need a VPN that incorporates modern and secure techniques. It should apply robust encryption, VPN protocols, and other secure methods.
- Read from experts in the cybersecurity field to learn more about the VPN.
- User reviews are also helpful in learning what they encounter daily.
- The VPN provider should follow a . It stops the service from logging information about your activities.
- Additional security features can be a factor in choosing a VPN product.
How to use VPN on Roku
Roku does not support VPN apps andfunctionality. As a result, you need other tricks to protect your traffic. Luckily, there are two options to make VPN connections work on Roku.
First option: connect to a VPN router
You can enable a VPN on the router level and apply a VPN on all devices connected to it.
- Launch your router’s admin panel by writing into your browser.
- Provide the required username and password. These details should be on your router.
- After opening the admin panel, look for the Control Panel or the network settings tab.
- Provide the following information for your VPN in the router’s network settings: a subnet mask, IP address, and login details. A VPN provider you have chosen should guide this process. However, not every service supports a VPN-on-router setup.
- After setting up a VPN on the router, you can connect your Roku to the VPN.
- You can set up a VPN connection on your Roku in two ways: via Ethernet cable or wireless network. Check if your Roku has an Ethernet port.
- When possible, connect your Ethernet cable to the Roku, and you can use the device safely.
- You can also open the Roku settings and connect to the VPN-protected Wi-Fi network.
Second option: share internet from a VPN-connected device
You can also get a VPN service working on Roku via aby a VPN-protected device.
- Connect to a VPN server on your Windows device. Atlas VPN suggests choosing the protocol.
- Prefer VPN servers located closer to you for the best connection speeds.
- Start sharing the VPN-protected internet connection with other devices.
- Type Mobile hotspot in the Windows search and open the result.
- Toggle the Mobile hotspot switch to share your connection. Remember the network name and password.
- Open Network & Internet tab and look for Advanced network settings.
- Click on More network adapter options.
- Right-click on the Atlas VPN IKEv2 adapter option and select Properties.
- Open the Sharing section and mark the box to Allow other network users to connect.
- Choose the mobile hotspot adapter from Network Connections in the Home network connection field.
- Click OK, and your Roku should be able to detect and connect to the hotspot.
Other tips for using a VPN
You can have Roku connected to the internet through a secure VPN connection. The process might seem intimidating at first. However, setting up hotspots is likely the easiest approach to consider. It gives you the flexibility to adjust your VPN connection.
However, setting up a Virtual Private Network on a router helps if you have many devices incompatible with VPNs. The downside is that your control over the connection has limits.