Delete Netflix history to stop unwanted suggestions
Trying to delete Netflix history means getting rid of your previously streamed titles. Curiosity might have pushed you to watch some quirky docu-series or slightly cringy reality TV shows. So, you might want to hide these habits from roommates or prevent them from affecting Netflix recommendations. Luckily, you have an option to hide what you have watched.
What does Netflix viewing history contain?
Netflix viewing history is a collection of all titles you have watched. It also contains timestamps of when the viewing occurred. Going through your records to delete Netflix history can get tedious as each episode has a separate entry. Luckily, you can hide the entire series after concealing one episode.
Private Christmas & a safe New Year!
Deciding to delete Netflix history means going through every title and removing unwanted ones from affecting recommendations. After all, binge watching Netflix shows is best when you can keep your habits private. However, you might share your account with family members, meaning they can always visit your profile.
Why deleting your Netflix watch history can be useful
So, here are the situations when you might need to delete Netflix history and adjust your Netflix recommendations.
- You share your profile with your family. Snoopy roommates or family members could visit your profile to see your Netflix habits. Thus, you can hide certain activities you wish to keep secret.
- You want to adjust the Netflix algorithm. A show or movie might not represent your usual streaming taste. Therefore, it is helpful to delete Netflix history from all its traces.
- You wish to remove titles you started watching but ended up disliking. You can remove such shows from your history or the Continue Watching row.
- You have friends over for a Netflix marathon. Sometimes, you should delete Netflix history to prevent your friends from seeing what you usually watch.
How to delete Netflix history
The option to delete Netflix history is not available directly through the app. You will need to get rid of unwanted viewing activities via web browsers. However, you can access the setting for viewing history via apps by getting redirected to the Netflix website. It is best to delete Netflix history via mobile or desktop devices.
We include instructions to delete Netflix history and remove titles from the Continue Watching row.
Deleting history on Netflix:
Remember the effects of deleting Netflix history:
- The deleted shows get automatically removed from the Continue Watching row.
- They won’t influence Netflix recommendations.
- They will no longer be a part of the records of shows you have watched.
You cannot remove viewing activities from Netflix Kids profiles.
- Open Netflix and sign in to your account.
- Click on the profile icon at the top right corner.
- Click Account.
- Find the Profile & Parental Controls section.
- Choose the profile you want to delete Netflix history from.
- In the menu that appears, select Viewing activity.
- Find the shows you wish to remove from history.
- After removing one episode, click Hide Series? to remove the entire show.
- You can also delete all Netflix history by clicking on Hide All selection.
- Open the Netflix app and log into your Netflix account.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top right corner.
- Tap Account.
- You will get redirected to the browser.
- Scroll down to the Profile & Parental Controls section.
- Pick the profile you want to delete Netflix history from.
- In the menu, tap Viewing activity.
- Find the shows or movies you wish to delete.
- Tap Hide Series? if you wish to delete the entire show from Netflix history.
- If you wish to delete all Netflix history, scroll down and tap on Hide All.
Delete a title from the Continue Watching row
Sometimes, you do not want to delete Netflix history. Instead, you might wish to hide all your viewing from the Continue Watching row.
- Open Netflix app.
- Find the Continue Watching row.
- Click the three-dot button next to a show.
- Pick the Remove From Row option.
- Click OK on the window that appears.
Similar instructions should work on all Netflix applications and the web version. You should open an unwanted title on TV apps and find the Remove from Continue Watching option.